On mental and physical autonomy - a parenting manifesto

 As a teen, I never felt I was able to express myself or who I truly was. I was in a stifling religious environment and the only ropes I had to hold onto sanity were eliminator jr and my good friend Justine, both of whom are still part of my life. 

But it was when I had kids of my own I realised I needed to think about what sort of a parent I wanted to be, and I knew straight away I didn't want my kids brought up with the same hangups and sense of shame I was.

As they got older, I solidified what I thought, and it basically comes down to a couple of things:

* I will respect your physical and mental autonomy

* I will offer you advice and perspective based on my experiences, and you are free to take that advice and perspective as you see fit

* You will make mistakes. The mark of someone who is moving towards being a rounded human is learning from those mistakes

* I will adopt a policy of radical transparency with you. I will tell you about what I do, what my vices are and what I get up to - but I expect you to do the same

* I will love and accept you unconditionally

* I expect you to take ownership. No one is responsible for you except you. 

I know my parenting philosophies won't be right for some people. But they work for me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Pleasure Principle

Black beads, Hendrix and why we forget what we loved

West Head, a VW and a message from God