Generational Angst


 

Members of ICON and Trilogy will know my obsession with LCD Soundsystem's All My Friends well. In fact, I am so obsessed with it I've told my kids I want it played at my funeral.

But I find it hard to put into words exactly why it speaks to me on such a fundamental level. I think part of it is it reinforces to me how important close friends are .... people, girlfriends, wives, work colleagues, they all come and go. But when you form a deep bond with a handful of punters, they become as close as, if not closer, than family. 

And it's important to hold onto those people with everything you have, because they'll always be there for you, even when others fail you or let you down. But All My Friends talks about how people you once counted on drift away, and the nostalgia you have for those halcyon days. I suspect I am a little naive when it comes to some things, but my love for, and trust in, my friends will never diminish.

I think another reason I love "All My Friends" so much is because it speaks to generational (and Gen X) angst. As one of the lyrics goes "I wouldn't trade one stupid decision / for another five years of life." And I really feel that way - all the mistakes and missteps I've made over the last 50 years have made me who I am, and I would not trade all I have lost for everything I have otherwise gained.

Aside from that, it's just a great song. I don't expect other kundts to have the same obsession over it I do, but I just wanted to explain a little what it means to me. 

And another thing: my 19 yo has tattooed on one leg "I wouldn't trade one stupid decision / for another five years of life" and "It would take a teenage riot to get me out of bed right now" on the other leg. Frankie said he got those tattoos for both of us, and it means the world to me. And just by the by, the other song I want played at my funeral is Teenage Riot. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Pleasure Principle

Black beads, Hendrix and why we forget what we loved

West Head, a VW and a message from God