Rez

 


As I've gotten older, I'd say over the last ten years or so, I've become increasingly interested in electronic music. To the point where, today, it makes up at least 80 per cent of what I listen to. 

Back in my youth I was a rock kid. I was interested in noise and post punk and some metal (although I was, and remain, very picky about my metal). As an aside, I remember the night when "heavy" music finally clicked for me. I was at Naz' place in Manly Vale (his dad's place). Jord was there too, and both those nefars said to me "you've gotta hear this" and put on Monster Magnet's Spine of God. I finally understood. I’m hoping my mates have the same epiphany with electronic music I had all those years ago with metal  

The problem I have these days is too often, rock just sounds dated to me. The same old tropes, the same old riffs. There's good stuff, and I love Om and Sleep, The Melvins and good Aussie garage like RMFC, Satanic Togas and Research Reactor Corp. And my love for The Brian Jonestown Massacre is blazing brighter than ever. Anton is a genius. Too often, though, rock just sounds like it's been done. 

Most of the time I'm more interested in dark wave acts like Buzz Kull (from Australia), Boy Harsher and Crush of Souls, or Australian electro like Black Cab. And then, of course, there's the undisputed kings of intelligent dance music, Underworld who, after nearly 40 years, remain at the absolute cutting edge. The guys from Underworld are in their sixties and demonstrate something which gives me hope: that you can maintain your creativity, and keep getting better at what you do, even as you get older. There's no reason to become stale, or retreat into cliches. 

More than anything, electronic music sounds like the future to me. And that's why I love it. 

The track linked above is Underworld Live in Brussels in 1999. The track below is their most recent work.  Both make you want to move your body and free your mind. I encourage the DDD members to explore the world of electronics. I'm here if you want any recommendations. Join me on this voyage into the future. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Pleasure Principle

Black beads, Hendrix and why we forget what we loved

West Head, a VW and a message from God